Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Realism is overrated!

I went to see "Indiana Jones" yesterday and loved it! Super special effects, some surprises - all in all a good way to spend a couple of hours. But realistic? Not even close.

I never used to even THINK about whether a movie was realistic until Richard made me aware. That's a conversation that still makes me laugh - so funny.

I had seen "Speed" (with Sandra Bullock) and I really enjoyed it. When I told Richard, he laughed (disdainfully, even). "Like that bus jumping the bridge was believable????" he chided. He proceeded to pick the movie apart, based on realism and believability. Okay, so I'm not the most discerning of movie viewers, but I LIKED it.

The conversation made me think, though, that perhaps I don't look hard enough at things like that. Maybe I'm not very objective and maybe I should be more analytical. Point made. After all, Richard should know. Right????

Okay... so time marches on and a few years later, Richard and I went to see the movie "Godzilla". We laughed... we cried... the whole bit. What a good time! When the movie was over, I asked Richard if he liked it. "Oh yeah! he answered enthusiastically. "I thought it was great."

Sooooo... follow me here down 4 years of movie-ciritc-self-doubt. "Speed" wasn't a good movie because it was not believable. But we ARE buying the gi-hugic lizard! Oh right! That's MUCH more believable! I'm thinking we may run into another one of those lizards any day - at the beach - visiting a city - WHAM - giant lizard. Could happen! Or is it only believable if Godzilla was the ONLY giant lizard of it's kind?

I guess we each have our own interpretation of "realism" - mine includes buses that can almost fly - his includes giant lizards. Fair trade.


What fun to laugh about lizards and buses, comedies and tragedies, thrillers and mysteries with someone so special! And yes, I even respect his critiques and opinions (most of the time)!

Life is good!

"Everything you can imagine is real." ~Pablo Picasso~

2 comments:

Rich said...

LOL - I remember that conversation......with Godzilla I knew it was going to be unrealistic going in. It is all about managing my expectations :) When I see the movie poster going into the theatre with a 35 ft tall gecko on roids, I'm leaving "Realism" in the car.

Now let's go see "Speed". A bus, a bomb, Keanu is a cop or something...I think to myself, "Seems far-fetched, but it's LA - I guess it could happen." I'm skeptical, but I bring "Realism" with me.

Big mistake.

"Realism" just asked me for the keys so he can go back and sit in the car until this is over. Poor bastard didn't even get through the top layer of butter on his popcorn. He just couldn't take it anymore watching Bullock and one half of Bill & Ted driving a bus over 50MPH without stopping, careening around the city. Seriously, they jumped the bus. At 50+MPH. Since when do the Duke Boys take public transit?

Of course throughout this harrowing ride on the bus bound for hell, Keanu is as animated as a cigar store Indian. That is probably the part that sent "Realism" packing!! :)

That brings back good memories thinking about that conversation (and other multiple conversations about movie realism :) I think you need to suspend realism to some degree just GOING to the movies!!

jane said...

Every time I read this I laugh again. You are sooooo funny! Good times, eh?

I still think you should be some kind of writer for a living.

In the future, I think you should leave ol' Realism at home (or send him to see a documentary) when you go to the movies. He has NO place in the movies. None!