Thursday, July 24, 2008

Powerless!

Powerless = without power = no electric!

Michael and I went out for pizza to Taverna last night (Wednesday) in the middle of a thunderstorm. The front part of Taverna is almost entirely enclosed with glass. The bottom is brick part-way up, but the wall is mostly glass.

ANYWAY, we were sitting there - lightning crashing all around us - thunder that sounded like it came from the table next to us. I was thinking how much I LOVE storms - the power - the fury. I love the lightning and the deep bass boom of the thunder.

Yeah right!

When we got home from Taverna, our power was out. We sat around for a little while and then called the electric company. The recording said that our power should be restored by 4:00 in the morning.

We decided to go to a motel for the night, thinking that by morning the power would be back on - we could go home, take a bath and go to work.

Wrong!

The 2nd estimate we heard for power restoration was Thursday, 6:00 am. The next one was Thursday, 2:00 pm - then it was Thursday, 4:00 pm. Now they're saying it will be Friday, 6:00 am.

Richard, Julie and Kate were in North Carolina, so I called Richard to ask him if we could sleep on his couch tonight. He offered us his guest room, but I don't think I can climb the flight of stairs. I'll be grateful for a couch in an air-conditioned house!!!

I met Tony at Richard's this morning at about 10:30 for a key exchange and a lesson on the security system - then back to work. I keep checking the recorded update, but they're still saying that we won't have electric until tomorrow.

There's no sense going home, so I guess I'll go get a manicure and pedicure (I could use one. My toenails are soooo raggy looking!) to kill some time and then go to Richard's and wait for Michael when he finishes work at 8:00.

Since we still don't know what's going on with the power, I requested a vacation day for tomorrow. I'm so tired! I can't imagine getting up again tomorrow at 5:00 am to rush home to take a bath - then drag my hair dryer, etc. to work to finish getting ready. Michael's off tomorrow, so if we can sleep, we don't have to get up so early tomorrow.

G'night! Sweet dreams! Say a "grateful prayer" for your electric! :)

No comments: