Saturday, July 5, 2008

Old movies and new dresses

I got a couple of new dresses that needed to be hemmed so this morning, after Michael and I made our run to the Farmer's Market and then to take Michael to work, I decided to watch an old movie (or two) and hem the dresses.

The first movie was "Bunny Lake is Missing" - a black and white film from 1965 (I was a junior in high school that year) that was kind of dark, but I really liked it. Michael says the great thing about the old movies that are on television is that they've weeded out the stinkers and that most of what's on is pretty good. So true!

I thought I'd be finished by the time the first movie was over, but I was having a "slow" day, so I was well into the 2nd movie by the time I finished.

The 2nd movie was "She Wore A Yellow Ribbon" from 1949. 1949!!! I was a year old. Wow! I know I'm old, but THAT old???? *sigh* ANYWAY, the yellow ribbon that women wore in their hair in "those days" was a sign that they had a "sweetheart" in the calvary. I wonder if that's the origin of the yellow ribbon we see today.

Sooooo... that sent me to Google and what do you know! Look at this: History of the Yellow Ribbon . Okay, so that might be more information than you care to have.

The movie was terrific (John Wayne - how could it be anything else??) and the hemming was finally completed. Between the picnic yesterday and the activity this morning, I headed for the couch when the dresses were finished and that's where I spent most of the rest of the day. It certainly doesn't take much to wear me out these days.

No comments: