Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Happy Birthday Greg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Note that there are 35 exclamation points. It's a clue! :-)

Greg spent the day down south, but he made it home in time for pizza at Taverna with Richard, Julie, Kate, Amy, Gregory, Alex, Matthew, Lori, Josh, Tyler (and Tyler's girlfriend), Michael and me. We had LOTS of pizza and Amy brought ice cream cake! A good time was had by all (but it was tooooo hot in the restaurant)! Scott, Crystal and Bryce are still at the beach. We missed them.

Greg got lots of cards and a pair of 'water shoes' for the boat. I owe him a present 'cause I'm not sure what he wants, but we'll figure it out. Maybe the "gift of love" would be enough. What do you think? (Funny, eh?)

It's hard for me to believe that Greg is 35. I keep telling the kids that people generally are at 35 who they were at 2. With Greg, that's certainly true. Greg was always busy - didn't sit much. He was smart, independent, a self-starter, thoughtful, observant and a million other wonderful things.

Greg is the family "herder". He keeps us all together. If someone drops off the radar for too long, Greg rounds them up and gets them back in the loop. It's rare for two days to go by without a phone from Greg. Life is hectic for Greg with work and his family. I treasure the phone calls when he's traveling from one job or meeting to another - even if it's only for 5 minutes. Sometimes we talk about absolutely nothing. But I seldom talk to Greg without learning something interesting. He has a vast amount of knowledge about a huge scope of things. Evan a casual conversation that starts about the weather can leave me on the verge information overload. Amazing!

Greg makes every day of my life fuller and richer. He's incredibly sensitive to what's going on in my life - the daily difficulties and frustrations. I know there are times he'd love to just make it all go away for me and he can't, but knowing that he understands is a far larger gift than he knows. There is an understanding between us that goes beyond words. I'm so proud of the man he's grown up to be.

Okay, this is getting way too mushy, so before I go over the edge (as if I haven't already) - on to something "newsier"...

Michael got a letter today telling him that his college loan for Chelsea was approved. She was SO excited! I'm sure it's been hard to live in limbo, not knowing if she was going to school in August or not. Now she can make plans and really start getting ready.

She was originally going to major in Creative Writing, but she's changed her mind. Although she writes well, she doesn't really seem to enjoy writing. But she DOES love children, so she thinks she'll change her major to something that would qualify her to work with troubled girls after she graduates.

I'm soooo tired tonight! If I manage to stay awake until 10:00 I'll be surprised. Any wagers??


No comments: