Sunday, July 12, 2009

Fish war

Greg and Amy went to a wedding yesterday afternoon and evening (congratulations, Sandy!). They looked soooo nice! (I'll have to 'borrow' some pictures from Amy's Facebook page)

Soooooo while Greg and Amy went to the wedding, Gregory, Alex and Matthew came to my house to spend a little time with Michael and me. Chelsea picked them up at their house at about 3:30 PM - Greg and Amy picked them up around 11:00 PM to take them home.

In between, we played more "Go Fish" and "War" than I have EVER played in my life - cumulatively! I don't know who we decided was the champion. We kept track of wins and losses, but I have NO idea who had the most wins. I do know that I was concerned that we'd wear out the cards, but they survived!

Gregory and Michael played guitars for a while and Alex was kind enough to let Matthew play his guitar. Matthew serenaded us while we played cards.

We had pasta and meatballs for dinner and Richard, Julie and Kate joined us for a "make your own Gelati" dessert with water ice from Rita's and vanilla ice cream. We had this very special dessert a year or so ago, and the kids have been asking for a repeat, sooooooo I surprised them on Saturday and they LOVED it! And... of course, they want to do it AGAIN! :)

If you don't know what a Gelati is... or if you don't know what Rita's is, well...
Rita's is an East Coast chain that primarily sells water ice (also known as Italian ice) and frozen custard - home of the Misto and the Blendini, the Ritaccino and of course :::: drum roll:::: the Gelati. The Gelati is made with frozen custard on the bottom, then the water ice of your choice and then topped with more frozen custard (vanilla or chocolate - your choice).

Michael and Chelsea are from the mid-west and have lived a sad, deprived life without water ice. Okay... maybe a little dramatic, but going to Rita's is an East Coast treat that they didn't expect.

ANYWAY... we all had a popcorn treat somewhere between 9:00 and 9:30 while we watched the Phillies make an amazing comeback (to win the game 8-7).

Gregory thought it was fun for all of us to have popcorn and be "holed up" in the TV room together. He was right. It WAS fun!

The kids were all sooooo good! Alex can play cards FOREVER! And it's worth it, just to see him smile. What a beautiful smile Alex has! He's rather win than lose(who wouldn't), but he'll keep playing, even when he's losing. He's an amazing young man - smart, brave, always willing to learn.

Matthew was so much fun! He's a perpetual motion machine, so when we go to visit them, he rarely stops long enough to really get to talk to him. I really enjoyed spending the time with him on Saturday. He reminds me so much of Greg, it's remarkable.

Gregory is the old man of the group in many ways. He'll be 11-years-old on Tuesday. It's hard to believe. It's always fun to find out what he's reading (he's always reading something). He's the one who talked me into reading the Twilight series. I'm not sure I've forgiven him yet! (just kidding, of course) Gregory is bright and sensitive and capable of anything he wants to achieve.

I'm exhausted today (and I don't plan to stray too far from the couch) but it was worth it. We had a FANTASTIC day!!!

Life is good!!!!

P.S. Shhhhhhh! I visited Amy's Facebook wedding photos...

No comments: