Wednesday, September 28, 2011

What do a professional painter and a manicurist have in common?

They both tell me "NO" when I pick a color!

This whole thing started several years ago and it's happened more than once.  I go to a shop for a manicure.  They tell me... "Pick a color".  I do.   Then I take it to the table with me and they say... "not a good color".  And they get up and go get another one.

I'm pretty easy going and I figure, hey... that's their business. They should know... so I just go with it.  I've never been sorry.  They're on to me now, so they keep a record of the good colors on my card and never ask me to pick a color.  Whatever!  It works!

SO!  Last night A.J. Farley came to talk about paint colors.  Michael dragged the rolled up carpet that I bought for the little room out into the living room where there was more light.



A.J.  brought his "deck" of colors (that's what we designers call it).  He asked me what I was thinking and I pointed to the rug and said.. "I was thinking of something in that oatmeal family with maybe white trim - to keep it light.  Then I can add colors with pillows, etc."

A.J. hesitated... oh...  maybe a tenth of a second before he said... "No.  I think we'll do it a grayish blue."

(I'm beginning to detect a pattern in my life.) 

He had the grayish blue paint on the left leg of his painter's shorts (a color that he uses often because he says it's a blue that plays well with others). I looked at it with the carpet... hesitated... oh... maybe a tenth of a second and said.. ."Works for me".

As soon as he said it, I could see it.  He was right.

I think he was a little surprised that I agreed so easily.  He was still trying to talk me into it.

Bring it on, painter-man!

I think the color choices I've made in my life that were the biggest mistakes were "safe" choices.  I always regret not taking the chance - not going for the bolder choice. (Unlike my blue kitchen cabinets that I LOVED)

SO!  Next Tuesday is Day #1.  Our job (read... Michael's job) is to get the room E-M-P-T-Y by next Tuesday.

I'll try to take some before and after pictures - and maybe some in the process pictures.

Here we go, yo!

Ever made a color choice you regretted?

* * * * * * * * * * *

No comments: