Saturday, October 1, 2011

Hate is SUCH a strong word!

I have just enough of my grandmother in me to not want to be someone who hates (or as we very hip and cool people say... I don't want to be a hater).  BUT... ya know what?  My grandmother never banked at TD Bank. 

I got home from work today to find an overdraft notice from ol' TD.  So... okay... that happens sometimes but not usually on an account that has been CLOSED for several weeks!  *sigh*

A couple of weeks ago I decided that I was just done with TD Bank (as I calmly and rationally reported on September 15th) when I closed (yes... closed) my checking account AND savings account at that bank.

I spoke with a seemingly competent young man (proof that we cannot judge by appearances) that day who efficiently (hahahahahahahahaha) assisted me in closing my accounts (or so he claimed).

I left the bank with a receipt for my $0.00 balance and assurance that anything that came in after the 15th would be declined. He promised.  He really did!

Right!  That's why I got this overdraft notice AND the overdraft fees to go with it.  And we ALL know that overdraft fees accumulate like a fast-rolling snowball on its way down the side of Mt. Everest.

My experience with TD bank is that for every competent (or even semi-competent) person I run into, I must to go through (at least) 2 idiots to get there. 

SO!  I called the 800 number and talked to a nice young man who told me that it appeared to him that the account was still open and that I did, in fact, owe the overdraft and fees. 

Before he finished his sentence, I was in the car, on my way to the bank.  I knew this one would not get solved on the telephone. (Quick study)

I arrived at the dreaded TD Bank and  promptly spoke with the Assistant Manager. Quite an experience I must say.

She informed me that my account was not really closed that fateful day in September because.... get ready... really... this is good...

BECAUSE I STILL HAD A 2 CENT BALANCE when I left the bank on the 15th.  I asked her WHY the receipt I got said $0.00.  After 3 different versions of double-speak she assured me that I had chosen to leave 2 flippin' cents in my account.  (huh????)  That one definitely left me scratching my head.  AND she spoke that sentence (okay... she didn't say "flippin'") with a confident smile on her face - like I was supposed to believe that she knew what she was talking about.

So I guess the conversation on the 15th went something like this???

Handsome young bank man, smiling that same confident smile:  You've got this account just about cleaned out, but there's still a balance of $4.93 - $4.91 and $.02 in interest.  Would you like to withdraw that in cash to close out the account?

Pleasant customer (me):   Sure, but just give me $4.91.  I don't need the 2 cents interest.

WHAT???????

(BTW... after doing some investigation of my own tonight, I found that TD deposited $.02 interest in my account the day after it was closed - which reopened it.  I wonder if they'd like to have a COMPETENT manager? I should apply!!)

In the world of TD Bank, insanity prevails!

Should I go back up to the bank tomorrow and make sure that the account is really closed or should I trust the Assistant Manager to do her job?


* * * * * * * * * *

2 comments:

TD Bank said...

Hi Jane, this is Brittany from TD Bank (www.twitter.com/TDBank_US). We noticed your blog - so sorry to hear about your experience. I can’t imagine how frustrating this is for you.. And we want to make it right!

I'd like to give a call to learn details and discuss next steps. Would you kindly send us an email with your first/ last name and contact info? No account numbers or other personal details please. The email address is service@yesbank.com. In the subject line kindly state “Blog” (this will help me get to it right away).

Thanks so much for your patience
Brittany M
TD Bank, America's Most Convenient Bank
www.twitter.com/TDBank_US
www.tdbank.com

jane said...

Thanks, Brittany! Will do!