Thursday, June 11, 2009

Who put the wild in Wildwood?

Not me... that's for sure! But Gregory and Alex gave it THEIR best shot today!

We picked Gregory and Alex up this morning and headed to Wildwood for a day of sun and fun... or fog and fun as it turned out.


One of our big goals was pizza at Mack's pizza. Mission accomplished, but not without effort. Gregory showed us where to park so that we would be close to Mack's and not have to walk so far - smart kid! BUT... when we got to the boardwalk, Mack's was closed - at least at that location - BUT the sign said that there was another Mack's Pizza 10 blocks down the boardwalk, sooooooo off we went! I had the scooter, so it wasn't too bad for me, but I felt badly that Michael and the kids had to walk so far.


We broke up the walk to Mack's with a visit to an arcade along the way where Gregory and Alex won a ton of tickets at Ski Ball. When we were finished there, I asked them if they wanted to cash in their tickets, but they said that they wanted to save them and add them to their stash at home until they could accumulate enough to get something "good". Wildwood is their domain, so I did as I was told and saved the tickets - separately of course - a pocket in my purse for each of them.


After they spent the Arcade money their dad gave them, we finally made it to Mack's and they were right. The pizza was TERRIFIC! Pizza always tastes better on the boardwalk mixed with a little sea air, but this was REALLLLLLLY good - well worth the trip for the pizza alone!


(The Title of this picture is "Pretend you like each other.")

After the pizza - more arcades of course! Michael saw a grill he wanted. It was only 38,000 points - or um... tickets. Not this year Michael, but save your tickets and maybe next year... or the next... or well... just save your tickets.

While Gregory and Alex were playing in the arcade, I made us reservations for 2:30 p.m. on the Cape May - Lewes Ferry which runs, oddly enough, from Cape May, NJ to Lewes, DE. Wierd, eh?

We weren't going to do any rides, but the kids LOVE the rides, so again, I caved and told them they could each ride 2 rides - maybe 3, depending on the time. Alex rode the Rock and Roll Express (my favorite back in the olden days when I was a teenager).


Gregory rode the Sea Serpent - one of those "pull them up in the air and then release them like a slingshot then flip upside down" roller coasters. I used to ride those... NEVER! It made me half sick to watch Gregory. Then Gregory rode something (I don't remember the name) that was like a big pirate ship that swung them like a penduluum, but in a HUGE arc. Gregory sat in the last seat - the scariest one. He IS his father's child for sure!


They finished by riding Moby Dick together. That one looked like fun - fast, but everyone stayed upright in a semi-controlled fashion - something a reasonable person might ride.

I have to say that the Teacups appealed to me. Oh please. Don't laugh. The Teacups were very cool. They looked more like a fancy Tilt-A-Whirl AND the ride included load music. Round and round - AND music. What's not to like? The Merry-Go-Round held it's classic appeal. Maybe someday. :)

We dragged them off the rides, because it was time to head to Cape May for the ferry. A half hour later, they dropped me off with my scooter to board the ship via elevator while they drove onto the ferry in the car.


The seas were moderate, so there was a bit of rocking and rolling, especially as we approached the Delaware side. For a while, I was concerned that Gregory might get seasick, but I took him to the windy side of the boat, which is always cooler, and that seemed to help. We stayed outside for most of the trip and then went inside to the lounge to play a little "War" before we got close to shore.




By the time we reached Delaware, the wind and sun (and fog) had taken its toll on most of us. We were beat! Alex was the only one who didn't seem tired. Gregory slept most of the way home (wise child). Alex may have dozed for a few minutes, but not long.


We got home in time for a great dinner at Greg and Amy's - barbequed chicken and red potatoes cooked on the grill. Yum!

After dinner I was treated to a fashion show by Amy, who just bought some clothes for work. (and I do mean I was treated) What fun! And... by the way, the dresses were all great! Amy looked fantastic in all of them! (The shoes were cool, too)

Finally... home, tired, full, and smiling. A great ending to a great day!!!!

I don't know who slept best last night, but I know I was in the running!

Thanks, guys, for a super fantastic day!

(P.S. And a special "Thank you" to Michael for the great pictures!!!!)

No comments: