Friday, June 5, 2009

Sweeeeeeet Music!

Yesterday Gregory (almost 11) and Alex ( 8 1/2) finished school for the year. Greg called yesterday and asked if they could "hang out" at our house today. And of course, I said YES!!!!

Lori was at home this morning so I didn't pick them up until about 10:00 a.m. and then we brought them back to our house to play some cards and haul out the guitars. (Julie says our livingroom looks like the Partridge Family with all the guitars on stands).

Gregory and Alex brought their guitars. Gregory wanted a guitar lesson from Michael. After several loud and crazy games of War, Gregory and Michael headed for the livingroom and Alex challenged me to a Fish tournament.

5 games and LOTS of trash-talking later (me more than Alex), Alex was declared "Temporary Champ" with 3 wins out of 5. I think he must have peppered his edge of the "pond" with the cards he was looking for. There's no other way he could beat me. Really. I'm THAT good at Fish! I think we're going to have a rematch next week and we'll see then if he can repeat as Champ. (I may practice before then!)

Gregory was SO ready for a guitar lesson. It all seemed to make much more sense to him this time. If he keeps up the practice, I can see a musical future for him. He just "got it" so quickly today!!! I'll have to work hard to catch up! I tried this afternoon to play what he was playing this morning. It wasn't happening. I could claim old age, lupus, arthritis, exhaustion or a million other things, but in the end, I guess I'll just have to practice! *sigh*

Alex, on the other hand, played the piano - his own "thing" - just kind of noodling around. It was bold, confident and he came close to making "real" music. Michael and I think he could very well be a piano player!

What great kids (not that I'm biased in any way)! They are so different, but each one is exceptional in his own way.

I think next week we get them for 2 days. We need to have a plan, but I'm looking forward to the time with them.

Rock on!

No comments: