Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Smokey Black Water at the Museum

Wow! What a day! And I'm still upright (for the most part).

Amy has walking pneumonia, so she worked from home today. Gregory (almost 11) and Alex (8), my two oldest grandchildren spent the day with Michael and me. They wore me out!

Michael and I picked them up this morning and brought them to our house for the morning. Gregory is learning to play the guitar, so he and Michael played guitars while Alex and I dueled to a tie in a "Go Fish" tournament. Then Gregory and Michael came to the table and the four of us battled in a game of war and Michael won. Did I say he won???? That's like saying the Titanic dipped a little bit. Michael crushed us - no mercy! ABSOLUTELY no mercy!!! Rematch??? Not for a while, thank you! We have to recover from this one first.

After cards and guitars, we headed out to meet Richard at Lonestar for lunch. Greg was working in New Castle, so he stopped by for a few minutes to say hi. I told Gregory and Alex that a friend of mine might stop by, but I didn't tell them who. They were surprised and excited to see their dad! And... meeting Richard for lunch is always fun!

After lunch we came back home for about 45 minutes. Gregory and I played guitars (I'm learning too) while Alex watched TV. Richard started a "family" tradition of learning the first 13 notes of Smoke On The Water (which Julie has been known to call - Smokey Black Water - Julie is sooooo cute). It was up to Gregory and I to continue the tradition and so we worked on that this afternoon and pretty much mastered it. We even called Richard so that he could hear Gregory play. Pretty cool!







After lunch... off to the movies to see the 2nd "Night at the Museum" (or whatever it's called). Tuesday is dollar popcorn day AND we had regalators, SO... popcorn and sodas only cost $8 for all 4 of us. Michael was NOT excited about seeing this movie, but we dragged him by his long, gray hair, kicking and screaming all the way (not really, but almost). He managed to live through it (thankfully) without too much damage to his psyche and/or general dispostion. The movie? Not so hot, but spending time with the kids? Priceless!

All in all, a good day! At this point, Michael and I are just plain done. We're on the couch in front of the TV watching the Phillies play the Mets. So far - 7 home runs in this game. At the moment, the Phillies are a run behind, but not for long. Go Phillies! (Sometimes I think they can hear me. No... "very sensitive" - not delusional.)

Greg took a couple of good pictures with his phone of Gregory showing his Mom and Dad what he learned on the guitar today AND a picture of Gregory teaching Alex (Alex can almost play 'Smokey Black Water' now). Tomorrow I'll figure out how to get the pictures out of my phone and into my computer. THEN I'll come back and post them here on this post.

Thanks to everyone for the great day - to Amy for letting us steal her kids - to Richard for meeting us all for lunch - to Greg for stopping by and delighting his kids - to Michael for being... well... Michael (what would I do without Michael???) It was a super day and I'm so very grateful!

Tomorrow, the kids are coming back. We're "buddies" again. I have BIG plans for tomorrow! If I'm still conscious tomorrow night, I'll tell you ALL about it!

Niters!

No comments: