Thursday, February 25, 2010

Death of Daewoo

Years ago (and I DO mean years - quite a few of them) Scott gave me a little 13" television - a "Daewoo" for me to use when I was getting ready for work.

It ran every morning for years and years - working great - doing its job - and reminding me of Scott - every morning.

Several months ago (okay... maybe a year ago), some of the color dropped off the television screen (something about the color guns - not my area) and almost everything was red.  There were red people - red trees - even red snow.  I hung tough with it, though.  After all, Scott gave it to me.

Most of the time it was fine for everything to be red.  Sometimes, though, it was a little disconcerting - like when I turned the TV on to iron or clean - or do something else in that room and attempted to watch something other than the morning news. 

"You really do need to open up to color" Stacy would tell the women on "What Not To Wear".  And on my TV they did - but everyone chose red - for every piece of clothing - for every purse - for every pair of shoes.  I understand that red is a color, but what about not getting too "matchy matchy"?  Helllloooooo!

So, I 'd switch to HGTV in time to see a man and woman enter a living room. 
"How do you like the new wall color?" the host would ask.
"LOVE the color" the woman would reply.  "I never dreamed I'd love gold on the walls, but I do!"

GOLD????  I don't think so.  The walls are RED, darlin'!
R E D

And so is the sofa - and so are the drapes - and the carpet - and the chairs - and - and - and...

Oh wait!  It's the TV!  Riiiiiiight!  I've gotten so used to it that sometimes i forget.

But... Scott gave it to me, so red would just have to do.  I would not throw out something that Scott gave to me.

So... last night Richard came over with a 13" TV that they were no longer using at their house.  He set up the new one and unplugged my little Daewoo and dragged it by it's little chord - kicking and screaming (I heard it - really) down the driveway to the waiting trash receptacle.

I mean, he REALLY dragged it... scraping down the driveway face down - bouncing in the snow - dragged it. 

I don't want to sound ungrateful.  I LOVED seeing flesh colored people this morning - not wearing red.   And it was so generous of Richard and Julie to give me the replacement TV.  I think Richard knew that I would never get rid of Daewoo on my own, so he did me a favor and got rid of it for me.

This is all that's left of little Daewoo...


At least I still have the microwave that Scott gave me.  It got blitzed in a thunder and lightning storm a few years ago when the electric flashed off and then back on and it hasn't displayed numbers on the timer display since then, but if you're careful when you press the numbers on the number pad, you can still use it without the display (or the alarm that tells you when the timer has run out). Trivial details.

And besides... Scott gave it to me.

No comments: