Saturday, February 13, 2010

Cardinals and Violets

"As surely as cometh the winter, I know
There are spring violets under the snow"
R. H. Newell

Sitting here yesterday afternoon, looking out at the snow, I saw a bright, beautiful cardinal in one of the fallen branches behind my house. It reminded me of my grandmother - my mother's mother - Gramma Jo.  Seeing a cardinal on a cold winter day always prompted a phone call to her. 

"Hi, Gram!  I saw a cardinal this afternoon and it reminded me of you."

I have a box that belonged to her - a small silver-colored box with a white ceramic lid - two deep red cardinals on top.  I keep it on my dresser and it reminds me of Gram. 



Gram loved cardinals - and violets - and the promise of spring.

There are so many things that remind me of her.  I don't know that anyone other than Grand-daddy Mechling had such an influence in my life.

When my mother was most angry with me she would tell me that I was JUST like my grandmother.  She couldn't have said anything nicer.  :)

No comments: