Sunday, August 24, 2008

Beware! It's catching!

I talked to Greg today. He informed me that his children have inherited the "traveling gene". (and just to let you know, the traveling gene did NOT skip a generation!)

So... here's the scoop!

Camp for Gregory and Alex ended on the 15th, so they didn't have anything major going on the week of the 17th through the 23rd.

On Thursday, the 21st, they were supposed to be at home with Josh, but Josh had some things to do to get ready to go back to college, so Greg worked a couple of hours and then came home at around 9:00 a.m. (I think).

Greg said that he wasn't home very long when Gregory and Alex came into the family room - together (always an interesting clue) and suggested to Greg that they go to Mack's Pizza for lunch. Well, that's great, but Mack's Pizza is 2 hours away in Wildwood, NJ at the beach.

Greg laughed and said "You understand that it's a 4 hour ride round trip, to get pizza?"

Gregory and Alex assured him that they understood and still wanted to go. Greg suggested that they stop by where Amy works to pick up the last few ride tickets that they had left from their vacation.

When Greg called Amy to tell her what they were doing, Amy replied "I want to go!!" SO Amy went home, and they all stopped and picked up Matthew and drove to Wildwood for lunch at Mack's Pizza.

Greg said he had to laugh at the kids. They were so good - prepared for a long ride - listening to iPods and playing with their Game Boys.

They arrived in Wildwood, had lunch at Mack's, rode a couple of rides to use up their vacation tickets, walked on the beach and were back home by dinner time.

Spontaneous trips are the best!

And by the way, this traveling gene came to Greg's children - from Greg - who inherited from me. It came to me by way of my mother's mother - Grandma Jo, who used to wear a hat to clean her house. When I asked her why, she replied "Duckie or Bertha might be going to town and call and ask me to go. If I'm a pain in the neck and not ready, they might not ask me again, so I'm always ready to go."

Ahhhh! The wonder of genetics!!

No comments: