Sunday, March 27, 2011

A Barrel O' Meds

"Routine" visit with my rheumatologist last week - or so I hoped.  The last blood work I had showed elevated glucose levels.  It looks like diabetes, but it's medication (prednisone) induced - can't be controlled with food or exercise.  So my family doctor (who did the blood work) put me on a new blood sugar medication.

My rheumie doesn't see that as a satisfactory solution.  He says that I need to get off of the prednisone.  Riiiiiiight!  I just tried that and it didn't go so well.

SO... we are going back to the methotrexate (which I've been off of for 2 years).  He hopes that will allow us to slowly decrease the prednisone and that I will be finished with prednisone by August.  Of course, that also means that because I'm taking methotrexate, I now have to take folic acid (a B vitamin, I think - may be a good thing).

I was a little discouraged to be starting methotrexate again, but the positive spin I'm putting on this is:
1.  I will be finished with prednisone and hopefully, my body will begin producing its own steroids for the first time in years.  A good thing.
2.  Once I get off of the prednisone, hopefully my blood sugar will return to normal and I can get off of THAT drug also.

There are more good things - positive things - and so I'll focus there.  I would be SO happy to be finished with prednisone for a thousand reasons!

So!  Status quo this week until Friday.  Friday I start methotrexate, decrease prednisone and add folic acid.  And then the ride begins. 

Happy trails!

No comments: