Friday, May 28, 2010

Besmirched, Bothered and Bewildered

So!  I went to the movies today (there's a movie review down there somewhere) and before the movie, we saw previews of upoming movies (somehow that seems redundant).

One of the movie previews talked about a girl's reputation being besmirched (sullied, soiled - Pronunciation: bi-ˈsmərch, bē-\) and i thought to myself... "What a great word! And one we don't hear very often."

I don't think dictionaries always go far enough.  Soiled, sullied - there's a lot of room in there. 

I went out to lunch today and besmirched my shirt with tomato sauce? Not really.

"Mary Jones left an hour early today."  Her reputation will be totally besmirched after this.  Would leaving an hour early totally besmirch you? Partially besmirch you?  Earn you an "atta girl"? (Would anyone even notice??)

"Had to get my car washed today.  It was completely besmirched after last night's rain." 

Maybe you have to be a living, breathing thing to be besmirched.

"How are you and the dog getting along?" 
"After the way she's been acting lately, my feelings about her are... well...  just besmirched."

These are the things that occupy my mind and make it...
                                                                                 besmirched?

No comments: