Sunday, June 6, 2010

Phil Roy & Melody Gardot

Phil Roy

How many times did Melody Gardot open for Phil Roy?  Last night at the Keswick Theathre, Phil did Melody a favor (in my opinion) and became the opening act.  For us, the concert was all about Phil.  Melody was just an afterthought - a bonus (that sounds a little more positive). 

I saw Phil Roy for the first time with Roseanne Cash at Appel Farms in New Jersey.  I was an instant fan - of his songs - of his voice - of his musicianship.  And after a 15 minute "chat" at intermission, I was a fan of Phil Roy as a person.  He was warm, open, and kind. I felt like I'd known him for years.

We try to see him play any time he's in the area.  We are after all... fans!  It's also pretty common to find him milling around at World Cafe Live on a night when Amos Lee, or Mutlu or Jim Boggia are playing.  He is a fan of Philly musicians.  Just one more thing to love about the man.

Phil's rich, passionate voice never sounded better than it did last night at the Keswick.  He played songs from several of his albums and "The Business of Love" from Mask.  He's written songs that have been sung by a variety of people in a variety of genres - from Pops Staples to Guster (3 songs on one album).

I was disappointed when Phil ended his set and he hadn't played "Melt" - one of my favorites.  But he came back out with Melody during her encore and the two of them sang "Melt" together.  What a remarkable treat!  It was an emotional moment for both of them.  It seems forever ago, that Phil asked Melody to sing on one of his CD's.  No one outside of Philadelphia knew her then.  How things have changed!

Life seems to be good for Phil Roy at the moment.  Phil has found love and is moving to New York to follow his heart.  We will miss his sweet spirit.


Melody Gardot


I know that Melody Gardot is HUGE in Europe having sold over 8 million records and winning several prestigious jazz awards - but I just don't care.

We always hear about her terrible car accident when she was 19 that left her "disabled" - causing her to walk with a cane and wear dark glasses.  She had her cane with her, but she danced, stood on one leg - then stood on the other - squatted - stood for an extended period of time - then picked up her cane from its holder and walked to the piano.  If she can stand, dance.. blah blah blah without the cane, why does she need the cane to walk 10 steps to the piano? I don't get it.  The cane and the glasses felt like an affectation. 

Maybe it just "hit me wrong" at the moment.  Maybe it's because I walk with a cane (that I need) and I promise you - if the day ever comes that I can get around without it, the cane will be gone - gone - gone!

ANYWAY... This was the Melody Gardot we remembered from her "rookie" days, but larger than life - more dramatic - in fact, totally over the top.  I guess you could chalk it all up to musical theater, but it completely turned me off.  Ms. Gardot is beautiful and incredibly talented.  There just isn't any need for the excessive and relentless drama and "show".  I thought it was a distraction.

I mean... really Margot Timmons is a very sexy lady - with no need to prove it continually through a concert. 

Okay... okay... okay!  Let me put away my soapbox!

The highlights of "an evening with Melody Gardot" were Melody's closing comments and "Melt" with Phil.  She was genuine, humble, grateful.  I found myself liking her for the first time all night.

There is no doubt that Ms. Gardot has earned all of the awards that she's won. But the best part of her show, for me, were her musicians. I don't know that I've ever seen any better.  In fact, I don't know if "better" even exists.

 

Charnett Moffett, on the base, seemed to accomplished things that aren't even possible!  What an amazing musician and artist!  He stopped to talk to us for a of couple minutes outside, after the show, as we made our way to the car.  (He's delighted to be home again in Pennsylvania with his family.)  We were privileged to experience his musicianship!

Irwin Hall, obviously the master of many instruments, played alto and tenor sax (at the same time) with passion and enthusiasm.  His connection to the music drew us in and when he played, the rest of the auditorium disappeared and there was only Irwin Hall.

Charles Staab - A drummer's drummer - we were mesmerized by Mr. Staab's talent and intensity. 


When you have a minute, find these men on YouTube - or better yet, a concert - and prepare to become a fan - whether this is your "type" of music or not.

Whever else Melody Gardot does, she has surrounded herself with electrifying talent - and she allows them each to shine. 

No comments: