Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Letters To Juliet

I don't have to worry about giving away any secrets because you've seen this movie and/or read the book many, many times if you've ever read a "Romance" book or watched a "Romance" movie.

Don't get me wrong, predictable is not necessarily a bad thing for me, if done well.  Anyway...
  • Girl meets boy
  • Boy is an arrogant, miserable pain in the ass
  • Boy dislikes girl
  • Girl dislikes boy back
  • Over time they grow to love each other but they don't want to admit it
  • They "accidentally" kiss
  • Boy loses girl
  • Girl thinks she lost boy, but it's a miscommunication (There's always a miscommunication)
  • Boy gets girl
  • Girl gets boy
  • They live happily ever after

Meanwhile... back at the vineyard...
  • Woman makes huge mistake 50 years previous
  • Woman tries to right mistake
  • Blah blah blah - happily ever after
So... "girl" is Amanda Seyfried.  Throughout this movie we focused on "girl's" boobs:
  • Bouncing in her t-shirt when she runs
  • Jiggling in her scoop neck dress (she's braless in this one)
  • Almost falling out of her v-neck dress at the wedding, when she runs - bent over with her boobs right there on the center of the screen (boy had to fall on the ground for "gir" to bend over and accomplish this look properly)
  • Bouncing, jiggling and/or generally being exposed in almost everything else she wears
So.. if there are any "guys" out there who are being pressured to go see this "chick flick", you might consider going.  The view isn't too bad. 

"Woman" is Vanessa Redgrave and they turned her into an absolute frump-a-dump wearing beige, round-toed, mary-jane type flats with an ankle strap - skirts that hung about 4 inches above her ankles - baggy shapeless tops and baggy, ugly jackets.  I mean really!  If this is the main love interest of the movie, shouldn't she have been somewhat of a hot granny?

I don't care how old she is, Vanessa Redgrave is beautiful, but they did everything they could to disguise that - at least until her wedding (*gasp* are you shocked?  Did I give it away?).  For her wedding they at least pulled that long, stringy hair - normally held back in barrettes on the sides (please!) - into an up-do, reminiscent of the 60's (can you say French Twist?) but respectably sophisticated - and flattering.

I think that long, gray hair was supposed to romantic.  Nah - not so much.  In one scene - where she recognizes her true love (Aw shucks!  I did it again - gave away a surprise plot twist.), they manage 30 seconds where her hair blows in the breeze around her face and is somewhat flattering.  The rest of the movie?  I'd sue them, if I were her!

The men in the movie were appropriately hot. If it were a book, they'd have rippling biceps, blah blah blah.  The "man" was way hotter than the "boy", I thought.  But then... I'm old.

When I started this, I was thinking 3 Go's.  After reliving the movie in this post, I'm changing my mind... 2 Go's. 

No comments: