Thursday, March 11, 2010

Alice In Wonderland


FIRST of all... I absolutely hated "Alice In Wonderland" when I was a kid.  Hated the story!  Maybe it was just too dark for me. I don't know, but I may have told you - - - - I hated it!

We had a whole set of Childcraft books. I devoured all of the fairy tales - all of Aesop's fables - the volumes with poetry - just about everything.  But I avoided "Alice In Wonderland" - wouldn't even look at the pictures.  Really.

So, I guess the point is... I debated whether to go see this movie or not.  I missed "Avatar" in 3D and decided that I didn't want to miss another 3D movie that I might regret.

So I went to see it today.  (Whew! Took a long time to get here, didn't it?)

I LOVED it!  It may have been a tad too Tim Burtonish to get 5 Go's, but it was a solid 4 Go's. 

Johnny Depp - the more over-the-top he is - the better I like it.  And he was plenty over the top in this one.  Blue eye shadow and a lisp - a Mad Hatter - a crazy milliner - loved it - loved him.

And Helena Bonham Carter was FANTASTIC as the Red Queen.  No one will ever say "Off with their heads" without making me think of the big-headed Red Queen.  (Not that I hear that often)  I have to say that the Red Queen reminded me ever-so-slightly of Bernadette Peters.  I'm not sure why - maybe it was the mouth. 

Anne Hathaway was as over-the-top as the White Queen as Johnny Depp was as the Mad Hatter.  She made me laugh out loud (always a treat when you go to the movies alone).  I had no idea she was THAT funny. 

As far as the 3D?  I spent an hour and fourty-some minutes ducking flying teacups, reaching out for a feather that LOOKED like it was right there in front of me and almost feeling the wings of a blue butterfly on my face.  This is NOT your grandmother's 3D! 

So... go see it - in 3D!  This weekend!

P.S.  Oh!  Alice!!  She was good, too.  Pretty girl. 

No comments: