Thursday, July 8, 2010

Happy Birthday, Greg!

Today is my son Greg's 37th birthday.

Lots of memories today...

Greg was born on a Sunday night (obviously, in July).  My brother-in-law and his wife (who was also pregnant) and their 15 month old son (2 weeks younger than my oldest son) were visiting from Florida.  They had invited my husband's aunt and grandmother (right... my brother-in-law's aunt and grandmother, also) for the day.

I went into labor in the morning but I didn't want to say anything - didn't want to create a commotion - make a fuss.  So... the day went on - I played hostess all day - made dinner for the whole family - but as I was giving the 2 fifteen month old boys a bath, the labor pains were just too bad to continue.

I told my husband I was in labor and needed to go the hospital.  The next hour was like something from an old Keystone cops movie.

We grabbed my "stuff" and headed for the car.  I sat in the front.  My brother-in-law (who knew nothing about Delaware) got in the driver's seat - my husband in the back.  And off we went - only to discover that I-95 on Sunday night in Delaware was a parking lot - everyone coming back from the beaches - Delaware and New Jersey. 

My brother-in-law sped up the shoulder, hoping to attract a policeman.  No luck. 

Eventually we made it to the hospital - started to get out and realized we were at the wrong hospital.  Back in the car and we were gone again.

Greg was born shortly after 10:00 PM.  The doctor had just told my husband that it would be a while yet.  I told them that this is how my first pregnancy went and that it would be soon.  They patted my hand - you know... the "don't be hysterical" pat - the doctor left - Rich went to the phone booth (remember those?) to call home and let everyone know it would be a while.

While he was on the phone, talking to his brother, the doctor knocked on the phone booth to tell Rich that he had a son. 

What a crazy start for poor Greg!

Lots of memories over 37 years - lots of reasons to smile.

There is a quote that I like to put at the and of my emails to my kids:

"If I could reach up and touch a star for every time you've made me smile, the entire evening sky would be in the palm of my hand."  ~Anonymous~

So true!  So true!

Happy birthday to you!
Happy birthday to you!
Happy birthday, dear Greg!
Happy birthday to you!
Life is surely good!

No comments: