Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Ever-Amazing Doc Watson

Michael (and Michael's friend/boss, John) and I went to see Doc Watson on Sunday.  I've been a huge fan of Doc Watson since my teens (Yes, contrary to popular belief I was once a teen - and the wheels on the cars at that time were NOT carved out of stone).



I remember seeing Doc Watson for the first time at The Main Point in Bryn Mawr in 1965 with his son, Merle, who was a year younger than I was.  Amazing!  Doc turned 88 in March - and he can still play! (and sing!)

Doc Watson was born sighted, but lost his sight before he was a year old due to an eye infection.  His talent as a musician (and as a kind, gentle man) has always been an inspiration to me.



ANYWAY... I wrote a concert review for my friend, Joe and his new music website.  You can find the review at:  
http://www.whatmusicmeans2me.com/concert-reviews/doc-watson-with-david-holt-t-michael-coleman-and-richard-watson-by-jane-mckinnin/

Doc and his wife lost their son, Merle in 1985 as a result of a tractor accident on their farm.  I would think that every time Doc steps on a stage, he remembers Merle and all the times that they came out on stage together.  Bittersweet memories, I'm sure.

Doc met his wife, Rosa Lee, when she was 14 years old.  He said it was just a couple of months later that she told her father that someday she was gonna "marry that fella".   And... she did.  Doc still refers to her as "my little darling".

It was a wonderful evening - filled with nostalgic tears... sweet memories... and amazing music!



No comments: