Monday, April 25, 2011

In Favor of the Strike

I was thinking about yesterday - Easter - and how much I enjoyed all the visits - both here at my house and at Richard and Julie's house.

I thought of Easters past, which always brings Amy to mind.  Amy has been the offical holiday meal cooker for her family (and me) years now (and the dinners have always... ALWAYS... been exceptional), but this year there's a "holiday dinner" strike.

Shortly after the first of the year, Amy told me that she's on strike this year - no family dinners at their house. 

"If anyone invites me, I'll be glad to attend a family dinner.  I'll even bring something, but this year... it's not me.", Amy told me emphatically (but pleasantly).

It made me laugh.   But then I started to think about all the dinners... all the food.... all the work... all the $$$$$$ - and I thought... "I should have done more to help."  It's so easy to take it for granted - to assume that Amy and Greg will be cooking. 

So yesterday was Easter.  I guess it's the first holiday this year affected by "the strike".

Amy, Greg and the kids showed up at my house after dinner for a visit... sweaty.. out of breath.  They had been playing  baseball.  It occurred to me that I don't know if Amy has EVER been to my house on Easter.

It was GREAT to see them all laughing... spending time together as a family... and having them ALL stop to visit. 

If this is the result of the strike... I am TOTALLY in favor!!!! I'll have to do my part to support it!


(Okay... so it's not an Easter picture... or a holiday picture....
or a militant strike picture... but it IS Greg and Amy)

* * * * * * *

No comments: