Monday, April 12, 2010

The Last Song


Well... I'm schmaltzy, so it's no real surprise that I really liked this movie.  In fact, surprises were not the order of the day, but that never ruins a movie for me.

The title of the movie was "The Last Song".  Hmmmm I wonder what THAT could mean.  Like... maybe someone was going to die?  Like... that kind of last song?  Or maybe it was even more literal.  Like... maybe someone was going to die and it had something to do with a song.  Hmmmmm Maybe.

It took a little more than a millisecond to find out that Miley Cyrus, A.K.A. Ronnie hated her father.  We didn't know why at first but we could tell by her stomping around... her rebellious attitude... you know, all those subtle signs that clue us in that, yes, she hated her father. 

So!  Ronnie hated her father.  I was really stumped at that point, trying to figure out who was going to die.  I sure hoped it wasn't her father, because it would be awful for him to die with all that conflict between Ronnie and him.


WAIT!  I'll bet it IS the father!  And the fact that Ronnie's mother dropped her off at her father's house for the summer MIGHT have been a clue.  Why was it so important for hateful Ronnie to spend the summer with her father??  It adds up, doesn't it?

BUT!  How would they EVER resolve their relationship?  Could they before he died?  Is it possible?  And what WAS the last song??? 
:::: wringing of hands ::::

And did I cry?  Nope. 

Sounds like I didn't like the movie.  I did, though.  Really!   Well, it IS Nicholas Sparks, which leaves me with certain warm, fuzzy expectations. 

I thought Greg Kinnear was very good in this.  I like him anyway, though.  I'm not a huge Miley Cyrus fan (...other than the fact that the girl can sing.  If I were Taylor Swift, I wouldn't sing any more duets with ol' Miley) I thought she was pretty good in this.  Not "give-her-an-Emmy" good, but she was okay - believable.  She always sounds tough... or "hard" to me and that worked well for the "hate your dad" parts of this movie.

It was a good afternoon. I'm glad I went.  Although the main plot was predictable (shocked, eh?), it was done well - and there were some interesting sub-plots that kept things going.  I don't think I'd bother with the book, but I'd recommend the movie.

I'd give it 4 Go's! Go see it!

2 comments:

Gina said...

Loved your analysis, Jane! :-) How many "Gos"?

jane said...

FOUR! I put the little picture at the top... but forgot to add my "recommendation" at the end! Silly me!