Sunday, April 4, 2010

"Drive-By" Easter

First of all.... Happy Easter!!!

What a day!  I just never seemed to get organized.  Every year I plan on doing better.  Every year... I don't!

I wanted to have everyone for Easter dinner at my house this year, but Michael had to work and there's just no way I can manage dinner for 15 without Michael's help. SO... I decided I'd make the rounds and go see everyone.

How did that work, you ask?  Hmmmmm I've done better!

Scott called last night and invited me down to see them, so that was the main part of my plan. 

I don't know why I got started so late, but I did.  I seemed to spend a lot of time running around in circles - going nowhere and accomplishing nothing. 

ANYWAY... by the time I found myself in the car (yes... found myself. That's how it felt all day) it was almost time to go to Scott's sooooo I called Richard to tell him that I was going to do a "drive-by" Easter visit at their house. 

Julie and Kate were in the front yard - Kate driving her Jeep (sooooo cute) and Julie supervising from a lawn chair.  Richard came out to wish me a Happy Easter.  I pulled up in the driveway, opened my door and gave Kate a big Easter hug - gave her a book (a new Olivia book), some Pez, girly easter stickers - wished everyone lots of love and a Happy Easter and took off to see Scott (who lives 40-45 minutes from Richard) with huge chocolate Easter bunny lollypops for Bryce, Gregory, Alex and Matthew - from Richard and Julie.  (Oh!  And a BEAUTIFUL pink hyacinth that made my car smell like spring and wonderful Easter cards from Julie, Richard and Kate!)

When I walked through the front door at Scott and Crystal's house, Bryce greeted me with a huge...

"GRAMMIE!!!!!"

Bryce was DELIGHTED to see me (which makes me almost giddy)!

I gave Bryce his book - his Pez - and a great big Easter hug - and then I enjoyed a couple of wonderful hours with Crystal, Scott and Bryce.

Bryce was creating artwork on the back patio with his new sidewalk chalk!  He has his mother's "creative gene".  I love to go visit them - always so much fun!

Then back on the road (with THE cutest "Grammie" box, hand-decorated by Crystal and Bryce, with Bryce's hand print and filled with Dove dark chocolate) - headed toward home in the Sunday-after-Easter traffic on I-95.  After changing course and taking the back-road-scenic-route I enjoyed my ride home - sun roof open - radio blasting. 

I was supposed to take Chelsea to the store so that she could cook dinner for us when her dad got home at about 8:00 pm.  BUT... I was later getting home than I expected and Michael was stuck in Sunday-after-Easter traffic coming from the other direction. Ditch the dinner plans.

SO... I just kept going past our house and headed to Amy and Greg's house for another "drive-by" Easter visit. 

"Greg... Hi! It's me!  I have Easter stuff for the kids if someone can meet me outside."

Pulled up in the driveway and Greg and Gregory came out to collect the loot - gift cards from Barnes and Noble (big kids are hard to buy books for) - the inevitable Pez and the chocolate bunnies from Julie and Richard.  Matthew came out for hugs all around (Alex was in the shower) and I watched his perpetual energy in awe. 

"Happy Easter!"  And I was gone again!

Not the way I'd hoped to "do" Easter, but I got to see everyone (except Alex) and give everyone their Easter "stuff". 

When I got home, I sat down, took a deep breath and re-read a text message that I received from my cousin, Gina .

The text message reminded me that Easter really isn't about books and Pez and all the "stuff".  It reminded me to be grateful...

  • For God's love - and the resurrection of His son, Jesus Christ, who suffered and died on the cross for me - for us - so that we can all have victory over the tomb.
  • For the bond of family - so strong - through all that life brings - whether near or far - whether we're in touch or out of touch.  It's there.
  • For loved ones who make every day a celebration of life.
I am grateful!
Happy Easter!



2 comments:

Gina said...

Really, Jane, it sounds like it was a very nice Easter. You saw all three of your children and almost all your grandchildren! I liked the radio blasting as you drove part too! Who needs to eat all that food on Easter or any holiday for that matter!

jane said...

It was kind of non-traditional but... it worked! :)