Friday, August 21, 2009

Chelsea's "going away" dinner - Part 1

The plan for Thursday did NOT work out as expected. It turned out MUCH better than planned!

The plan was - Dinner for Chelsea on Friday - 5:15 (or so) - meatball sandwiches - easy. So... on Wednesday, Chelsea contacted her friends to come on Friday and I texted Richard and asked if he and Julie and Kate could come for dinner "tomorrow night". He replied... "sure". (or something similar)

On Thursday, Chelsea called home and asked if she could bring home some friends for dinner. The "Thursday plan" was hamburgers, baked beans, chips - pretty casual. We were glad to have Chelsea's friends, so of course we said "Yes!"

In the meantime, one of the breakers in the electric box went off and we couldn't get it back on. On that breaker was:
- one of the outlets in the den
- the pantry light in the kitchen
- one outlet in the computer room
- two outlets in the diningroom
- the diningroom light
- the garage door opener (we found out later)

I called Richard for the name of the electrician who's Greg's neighbor. During the conversation, he asked what I was doing and I told him that I was making meatballs for tomorrow night. "Tomrrow night????" he asked. "You texted me yesterday (Wednesday and said ... tomorrow" - which was now, today. I checked my text messages, thinking he must be confused. He was NOT confused. I invited them for Thursday instead of Friday.

I told Richard that Michael was running up and down the basement stairs - unplugging something and then going to the basement to see if the breaker would reset - then coming back up and doing it again and again. I told him that if we weren't in such a mess, I'd tell them to just come. But the electric was out - Chelsea was bringing home 3 or 4 people for dinner and I was a little unstrung. He said he had to hang up quickly and call Julie. She was probably on her way. We hung up and I texted Richard and Julie apologizing. I felt awful.

As soon as I sent that text, I was sorry. Why not have everyone? It's summer - not too dark at 5:30 - 6:00 and besides, if there's one thing we have, it's candles! A little electricity confusion was not going to stop us.

We had PLENTY of ground beef (I was making meatballs, after all)sooooo I called Richard back and asked him if they could come. He said he'd try to reach Julie AGAIN. Poor Julie. "Come - don't come - come" What a mess! Confusion DID reign - but only briefly!

Julie and Richard (and Kate) were great sports and agreed to come.


Chelsea's friends came home with her. It was fun night!


Kate was great, as usual - always busy - playing with her "baby" (the first doll baby I EVER bought in my life, by the way)...


Or some of the other toys...


I bought the cutest hat for Kate from a lady at the Farmer's Market who makes hats. The hat had to be big because of Kate's hair. She has such thick, curly, curly hair! The hats for kids her age are just too small.


I'm glad that Richard, Julie and Kate got to come and say "good-bye" to Chelsea before she leaves for Atlanta. She enjoys them so much - and the feeling is mutual.

Richard and Julie and Kate left at about 7:00 - bath night for Kate.


Chelsea's friends stayed later, laughing and talking in the livingroom. A good night, for Chelsea, I think (I hope).

The evening brought back lots of memories for me - from when Richard, Greg, and Scott were in high school - the house always full of kids - the refrigerator stocked and ready - lots of laughter - lots of noise - fun times.

Life is SO good!

No comments: