Friday, December 16, 2011

Shape your own faith, Lucy!


I was talking to someone near and dear to me the other day about marriage - or specifically, Christian marriage.  (An unnecessarily prickly issue, it seems.)

NearAndDear is considering marriage right after she graduates from college and before her PotentialHusband's senior year.  They are both Christians and their faith is important to them.

She/they make mature, thoughtful decisions and characteristically have been kind enough to include all of us who care about them and their pending news.  (It's not news yet, so don't go crazy.  We're only allowed to be semi-excited for NearAndDear and PotentialHusband.)

(I would also like to add for the record, judge, that NearAndDear is old enough to tell all dissenters to um.. pound sand.)

ANYWAY... PotentialHusband's family is delighted at the prospect of their potential marriage. NearAndDear's family is likewise.

So... where's the problem, you ask?

EXACTLY!

WELL!  OlderAndWiser (also known for this purpose as Lucy) was happy to "share" her Christian perspective with NearAndDear about men feeling like men... and submissive wives... and on.. and on... and blah blah blah... and all of the reasons that this might not be a good idea.  (Ah! The joys of illuminated church friends!) 

I could go off on a tangent about that submissive wife verse in the Bible AND the verse that precedes it, but I'll save that for another day (and if you're lucky, I will have fallen off my high horse before another day and you will totally escape the tangent).

And besides, if you asked all the people (scholars and non-scholars alike) in all the world who believe in the Bible as the inerrant word of God - about the meaning of this particular verse or that particular verse you would get 27 million quite a few differing opinions - each based on a different level of knowledge, faith, and/or life experience.  (And by the way, I think God just laughs at us with all this pettiness - but that's my own non-illuminated opinion)

The point of all this (yes, there is a point) is that NearAndDear and PotentialHusband are committed Christians - strong in their faith - dedicated to honoring God in all things. 

Who is Lucy to measure their relationship with God and the shape of their faith?!?  Who is anyone to define the shape of their faith?  Why, as Christians, do we spend so much time dooming and glooming each other and so little time lifting each other up and encouraging each other?

Why do we people of faith (oh yeah... sorry to say that I can be guilty also.  I may even be guilty as I type this?) seem to think that God cannot make His point or manage this earth without our assistance?

In the end, I guess what I really want to say is that NearAndDear and PotentialHusband are good to go.  If for some reason I'm wrong about that, they communicate with God on a daily basis and He can definitely handle this one.


Shape your own faith, Lucy!

* * * * * * * * * * *




1 comment:

The Dharma Bum said...

Isn't interesting how so many just can't get out of their own way? Even money says Lucy re-gifts.

I like the "Shape your Faith".

Seems to me you may want to shape it before you keep it - and of course share it.

Wow, I feel like i have learned something today! Which of course means I am nor done for the day.


Thanks for the time off.