Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Death of Stereotypes


Michael and I went to Gallucio's (a local bar/restaurant) for lunch today.  We sat at a table in the bar area.  Near us were 3 macho looking guys sitting at the bar drinking eating their lunch, watching television, and talking.

There are 3 televisions over the bar at Gallucio's - one was showing CNN (if news is your thing) - one showing ESPN (can't have a bars without ESPN) - and one showing The Chew (a cooking/talk show) on ABC.

Forgive my narrow-mindedness, but I would have figured 95% chance they're watching ESPN - 5% chance they're watching the news (these guys just didn't have the look of "news" guys).  0% chance they're watching The Chew.  If you had seen these guys, I'm sure you would have agreed with me.  Trust me.  You would have.  (Really)

BUT... what were they watching????  The Chew!!!  And not just watching!  They had opinions.

Stacy London was the guest today and when she walked onto the set, these guys started criticizing Stacy's hair.  The all agreed that they like it better "down" and not all rolled up on the back of her head (complete with descriptive hand gestures).

I was amused to say the least.  Okay... I almost laughed myself off of my chair. So funny!

And then it occurred to me that maybe the laugh was on me.  Who said men have to watch sports?  Who said they can't watch The Chew (even at a bar)???  Maybe I was wr-wr-wr-wrong. Maybe.

Was I? 

Were you ever the victim of a stereotype?

* * * * * * * * * * *



No comments: