Friday, July 22, 2011

Gone but not forgotten!

I SOLD MY CAR!!!!!

I am SO relieved!  I had so many inquiries about the car that I talked and texted my cell phone completely dead - out of juice - every day last week - by 2:00 in the afternoon! 

The mileage was a major issue for a lot of people.  The little dent in the side didn't help either but hey... it was little and it added character!  NOT to mention that it provided a slight intimidation factor - letting people know that if they want to do battle... I've already got a dent... so bring it on!!  (not that I would ever drive with that kind of attitude)

There were 2 men who were supposed to arrive at around 8:00 PM to buy the car.  Richard offered to come so that I would not be alone with strangers in the car or the house - and especially with the cash involved.  I gratefully accepted his offer!

BUT...

I went out for a little bit and when I got home at almost 6:30, the men were already standing in my driveway! 

As usual this week, my cell phone was dead.  So there I was with 2 strange men - no cell phone - alone.  All I could think about was how stupid it would be to get into a car alone with 2 strangers and ride away from the house. 

It is my nature to believe that everyone is nice - everyone is kind.  But.. my nature has been known to be wrong.  Common sense and my nature are not always friends, but I was trying!

As it turned out, the men were really nice and had no interest in going for a ride.   They looked all around the outside and inside of the car and then asked me to rev the engine (they had opened the hood). 

After they listened to the engine (and attempted to haggle some), one man handed me the cash for the car and asked me to count it.  He walked away to go talk to the other man and I TRIED to count the money.  My hands were shaking so badly I could hardly count!  I don't think I ever saw more than two or three hundred dollars in cash at one time.  I was surprised at how shaky I was, but oh wow... was I!
One of the men followed me into the house to do the whole title thing and then they were gone.  I would say they were there 15-20 minutes, tops!

They had no sooner pulled out than Richard pulled in - approximately 6:45.  He thought he was getting here an hour early.  Surprise!!

ANYWAY... Richard recounted the money for me and suggested that we take it to the bank, which we did.  He got a chuckle out of my obvious discomfort with the whole situation.  I was pretty rattled, but by the time we got back from the bank, I was able to laugh a little too.  But, just a llittle.

Whew!

NOW to get the new car!  It should be ready Tuesday or Wednesday they said.  (and then there goes all that nice money I just got)

The salesman at the dealership asked me what color I wanted.  I told Allen (Allen Slifkin, the salesman who helped me)  that my first choice was light blue.  My second choice was light green.  Alan said that he didn't have any CRV's but he'd see what he could do.

When Allen called the next day,  he said that they had a demo (the Manager's car) that I could have for a good price (if a new car could possibly have a good price).  I asked what color.  Allen said it was silver.

"JUST what I wanted", I responded quickly!   (Hey!  I just finished riding around for 3 years with a dent in the right side of my car.  Do I really care that much about appearance???)

Hi ho, Silver!  (You ARE familiar with the Lone Ranger, I assume, and his horse, Silver???)

So, silver it will be! 

Life is good!
* * * * * * * * * * *

No comments: