Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Thank you, Aunt Ginny!

Aunt Ginny died yesterday.  She was 83 on October 2nd.  She was the last living sibling of my mother - and always my favorite.

Ginny's persona was larger than life.  My kids remember vacations at Ginny's with Muz - swimming at the Summit - rowing Ginny in a rowboat - Coke and a Milky Way for breakfast. 

I remember the black patent leather tap shoes with the grossgrain bows that she sent me when I was at college. I wore them everywhere.  They made a great clackety-clack noise on the hardwood floors in those old buildings.  People either thought I was nuts or they wanted a pair. 

Trips to Gabes for bargains for Rich and the kids.  I bought Rich a grey wool pinstripe suit at Gabes for $35.  It fit him like it was custom made for him.  (My best bargain)

On the other side of the spectrum were the sweatpants with 3 legs.  Okay... so you had to be careful, but the deals were great! (NOT my best bargain!)

Scott remembers going to Ginny's and locking the keys in the car.  Ginny called AAA and had them unlock the door, but not before telling Scott to NOT say anything about whose car it was.

Ginny told me stories this past year - about my mother - about my grandfather.  Turns out he was not a drunk.  He was a gambler and gambled his family's life away.  I'm not sure if that was better or worse, but it's always nice to know the truth. 

Ginny told me that my mother adored her father (in spite of telling me that she hated him) and that she was without question - his favorite.

The last time I visited Ginny, I realized where I got my love of boxes, water color paintings, crystal candlesticks - and much more. She made an even bigger impact on my life than I had known before.

Ginny lived her life in service to her community and to God.  She knew where she was going after this life.  I know we'll meet again.

We'll miss you, Ginny - and we'll be gratefull for the part of you that lives in all of us. 


No comments: