Wednesday, August 22, 2007

In praise of vicarious field trips...

Had lunch with Richard yesterday - always a treat for me - brightens my whole week.

While lunch with Richard is ALWAYS a good thing, yesterday was fascinating - hearing about his trip - about Ireland - the roads - the castles - the churches - the golf courses - the bed and breakfasts. For an hour or so, I was there. I can hardly wait to see the pictures!

Richard said he was soooooo homesick for Kate - and Julie. At 6 months old, 10 days is HUGE - so many changes so quickly. And... how about Molly? I mean, really. I forgot to ask if he was homesick for Molly. On the homesick scale, I'm guessing Molly didn't rate more than a 4 or 5, but I'm sure she was on the gee-I'm-missing-you list. Ten days was too long, he said - just too long.

I am generally in awe of the whole thing, actually. I'm DEFINITELY impressed with Julie for encouraging him to go - no guilt trips - no pouting. Although she missed Richard, she was fine. That's a homecoming gift in itself. And Richard was able to have a wonderful time while missing his family with all his heart. What a nice way to live.

I think they call that "balance". :)

No comments: