Wednesday, November 9, 2011

I'ts Not Easy Being Blue



By that I mean a Delaware state policeman (or woman).

Observation this morning on my way to work....

I got on I-495 this morning behind a Statie.  The guy in front of the Statie slowed down to about 3 mph (at least it felt like 3mph) on the entrance ramp to I-495.

When we actually got onto I-495 the guy still didn't go over 45.  So the Statie and I passed him.  BUT... as soon as the Statie pulled into the next lane, everyone in THAT lane slowed down - like dominoes falling forward.

Okay... I admit that I was brave because I was behind the Statie.   All I had to do was not pass him.  BUT... as soon as the poor policeman got on the highway, everyone within 2 miles started driving like an idiot... or as my wise, oldest child might say... they drove like punks. 

Why do we do that?  (Yeah.. I do it too) I think in my case, I'm not very trustful.  I think I've watched too many TV shows where the cop bends the truth... or just lies outright.   72 billion great cops in the country, but it would be my luck to run into the one bad apple.  (But if the TV shows are correct, that one bad cop would be in New York City anyway... so I'd be safe)

Maybe that's why we drive like punks when there's a Statie around. Maybe we're not completely trustful. OR maybe we just don't want to get a ticket for doing 90 in a 65 mph zone.  That could do it too.

And if I were in trouble?  Stuck on the road somewhere at night?  Or leaving a shopping center at closing time?  Those blue cars and blue uniforms would suuuuuuuuure look good!!

Do you drive like a punk when a policeman is around???

* * * * * * * * * * *

No comments: